Friday, March 8, 2013

Friday Night, Pizza Night Resurrected... Gluten off the invite list






Since I have made the healthy choice of eliminating processed carbs and flour from my diet, Friday Night Pizza Night has since disappeared. That was one our our family traditions that I had to set aside while eliminating processed flour. So I was stuck at a crossroads... Give in to the Papa John's and Pizza Hut craving or find another way to quell that thirst.

I chose to find another way and here is how I did it. First, let me start by saying this isn't flour! This isn't the flaky, crunchy, goodness that you are looking for in a pizza. This is, however, an alternative to pizza without the processed carbs and flour.

Set oven to 400 degrees F
1/2 head of cauliflower
Italian Seasoning to taste
Salt to taste
2 x 8 oz of Mozzarella Cheese
Organic Egg
Pizza Sauce

Chop up the cauliflower into small chunks and place in a small bowl. Microwave the cauliflower for about 7 mins until it is soft enough you can pinch it to break it.

Add your cooked cauliflower, Italian seasoning (a little more than you think), and some salt to a food processor. (Pictured I used a handheld version)

Spin it until it looks like rice.

Next, I ran the spiced cauliflower mixture through a ricer to get the pieces smaller. (Pictured, this is an extra step I take to make sure it is as small as possible. If you do not have a ricer move ahead.)

Once fully riced, I pressed two paper towels into the mixture to soak up some of the extra moisture. Shred 4 oz fresh mozzarella cheese into your seasoned cauliflower mixture.

This should have cooled down your mixture enough that you can add your egg without scrambling.

Continue adding the remaining 4 oz of cheese.

Once complete your dough should be sticky and doughy.

Spread "dough" until a silpat or parchment paper.

Bake for 20-25 mins at 400 degree F.

Take it out when it looks slightly browned. (Pictured)

Add your sauce and cheese topping. Add any additional items at this time, EVOO, more Italian Seasoning, veggies, the options are endless.

Place pizza back into the oven until cheese is melted and bubbling, about 10 mins.

Pull your pizza out of the oven and let it sit longer than a normal pizza would sit. Remember the crust is mostly cheese, it needs to harden back up after coming out of the oven.

In a few mins enjoy.

Warning!! This is good and very filling. I normally could eat an entire Papa John's Large pizza. This pizza I can barely eat half until I am too full to move!

Enjoy!


Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. Definitely a healthy alternative to flour. I’ve seen other people try this same style with other veggies. I think spinach was the one that was great for making thin crust pizzas. But I’d have to double-check that. Anyways, great read! Cheers!

    Carlene @ Incredible Pizza

    ReplyDelete