Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Becoming an ultrarunner

Normally I am willing to try anything and take on any challenge.
However, there are a few stipulations; you get one time to give me a challenge, you must either do it with me, or have done it once before. Luckily, my 100 miler machine friend suggested that I do a 50k. For most people, 50k is not a known distance, so the blank looks on their faces would make me follow up with "31+ miles", which is generally followed by "Of running?" or "All on the same day?" 

So I signed up for the Playin' Possum 50k, completely scared out of my mind. I am not a good runner! I also have been training very minimalistic. A 50k sounded crazy! But I needed to have faith in my training and nutrition. During a training run someone once asked me, "How many miles a week are you doing?" I responded with, "About 5-6 over my long run." I have found that a very big taper works for me, so I basically took off 2 weeks! Once again adding to the fear. I knew I couldn't let the fear take over so I starting putting items out very early. I decide to go with only Hornet Juice for Amino Acids during the run and Amrita bars for nutrition.


Jump to race day.

I wake up with my normal bulletproof coffee. Grant, who is hurt and had to not race this time, decided to pick up both Andy and me and take us to the race.  You can't describe a better friend! At this point my stomach is tumbling. I put on FB, "The difference between fear and excitement is a fine line" and that is what I was exactly thinking... Is this fear or excitement?

I eat an Amrita bar before the race start and listen to the instructions. I loved that some of the proceeds went to Special Olympics, and they also had a speech from some of the Special Olympics representatives. The race director takes the mic, "blah blah blah... everyone have a good time and go.... GO!... yes now.. GO!" Everyone was very confused but we take off.


Andy and I decide during the first part of the race that the 5 hour mark is fair game.  Until that point we are sticking together. The first part of the course is mostly single track woods and disc golf course. About mile 3 an old friend from high school (who was a national caliber cross country athlete) joined us for a few miles. It was great to catch up and help pass the time and calm us down for those first few miles.

Mile 6-7 we loop back around to the start line and then head out for a long loop. We get a break from the wood for about a mile, until we had to run on the dam wall for a long distance. Then we head out into some beautiful scenery. It is drizzling and it feels amazing! 

Mile 11 A rocket passes us going the other direction the leader is so far in front of us at this point it wasn't even funny.

Mile 13 We had a nice rest break. I drank some soda just for a change, but at this point I am sticking to my Amrita bars for nutrition. We hit a stream crossing and the rain and traffic has caused the walk out of the stream to be very slippy and muddy. I get up and slip right back down. My right foot slams into my other foot forming a "T". I feared that this could force me out of the race. I get up and I am surprised that all systems were a go.

Mile 18 We have finally come back to the beach/starting area for a rest stop. I grab some oranges (they looked so good) some soda and we were off again.

Mile 22.5 Its been a long time since our last rest stop. I am completely out of fluid. I have been eating my Amrita bars but I am now parched. It is now warming up also the heat is getting to me. We have been trekking across some really muddy areas. Some about 2-3 inches deep of mud.

Mile 26.5-4:55 (I passed the mental marathon mark.) I feel great. Andy is starting to fade and starting to get nauseous, it is right around the 5 hour mark, and there are 3 other people that we have been chasing stopped in the rest area. I make my move. I tell Andy, "I am going for it." Before I could hear the "Okay" I was off running. I catch the first person withing the first half mile.  I pass 8 other people in the next 4 miles. After about 30 mins, the heat is really starting to get to me and I am starting to fade. I pop out into the clearing and I can see the finish line and my #10 person to pass. I turn on the jets, pass that last runner, and run into the finish line for a 5:42 time. And grab my very interesting finisher medal.

I can honestly say without proper nutrition and pacing I would have been much later than that. The Amrita bar switch from sugary gels allowed me to finally use my spare jets at the end of a race, rather than nursing my sick stomach. 

At the end, my wife had assumed that I would feel sick to my stomach as I normally do, but was surprised that I was feeling great! I ate some food, swam in the lake, and cheered some others into the finish. I met some new friends and was able to hang out with some old friends. I was inspired with some of the performances I saw during the race and I was amazed what proper nutrition can do for you. I tweeted today...

Stay tuned...



1 comment:

  1. Way to go my friend! You rose to the challenge and finished in style. Very proud of your accomplishment - and proud to officially welcome you to the ultra family! :) Looking forward to running the same race someday!

    ReplyDelete